Missouri senate votes to rename Mark McGwire Highway
- As Bud Selig 'eases' Mark McGwire back into the big time, the state of Missouri takes an opposite course. The Missouri State Senate voted unanimously Monday to remove McGwire's name from a section of interstate highway. The measure now awaits a House vote:
- one year after the Cardinals slugger hit a then-record 70 home runs.
But McGwire has now admitted he used steroids,
- and the state Senate voted unanimously Monday
to rename the section of interstate the Mark Twain Highway. The measure now goes to the House."...
- One senator "...says it might be wise to name roads only for the deceased, because they can't do
- something worth changing the name over one day."...
AP report, 3/2/10, "Missouri Senate votes to rename Mark McGwire Highway in St. Louis"
- Tightly coordinated public relations efforts reportedly were behind every detail of McGwire's so-called confession. McGwire could have made his confession in a different way or not timed with a new job, but chose not to. ed.