Another 'Green' idea does more harm than good
- filth is not bad to the Al Gore group. Death isn't even that bad.
- Dishwasher detergents now allowed in Spokane County
- do not clean the dishes.
(AP): "Many people were shocked to find that products like , Ecover and Trader Joe's left their dishes
- encrusted with food, smeared with grease and too gross to use without rewashing them by hand.
The culprit was hard water, which is mineral-rich and resistant to soap.
As a result, there has been a quiet rush of Spokane-area shoppers heading east on Interstate 90 into Idaho in search of old-school suds.
- Real estate agent Patti Marcotte of Spokane stocks up on detergent at a Costco in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, and doesn't care who knows it.
- "Yes, I am a smuggler," she said. "I'm taking my chances because dirty dishes I cannot live with."
(In truth, the ban applies to the sale of phosphate detergent — not its use or possession — so Marcotte is not in any legal trouble.)
- Marcotte said she tried every green brand in her dishwasher and found none would remove grease and pieces of food. Everybody she knows buys dishwasher detergent in Idaho, she said."...AP story, "Spokane Residents Smuggle Suds Over Green Brands," via Lucianne.com