Leading climate exchange hacked by anti cap and trade protesters
- leading marketplace for trading CO2 emissions in Europe, was targetted by hacktivists of the autonomous tech collective *decocidio* (#?).
In a public act of digital direct action, the ECX website was taken offline and replaced with a message in an effort to try to raise awareness about carbon trading as a dangerous false solution to the climate crisis, in support of the grassroots activists aiming to oppose the power structures and
- companies profiteering from the dysfunctional Cap & Trade scheme....
In 2009 Friends of the Earth UK released a report warning that carbon trading could trigger a second 'sub-prime' style financial collapse and fail to protect the world from global warming catastrophe. A copy of the full report, 'A Dangerous Obsession', is available at: http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/reports/dangerous_obsession.pdf....
- According to the hack message:
- "The Cap and Trade system (as implemented in the EU Emissions Trading Scheme) has a whole range of issues:
* It's main purpose is not to reduce emissions, but to help polluters meet "reduction" targets in the cheapest way possible, in a business-as-usual scenario. * Leaves room for unverifiable manipulation. * Generates outrageous profits for big industry polluters, investors in fraudulent offset projects, opportunist traders and new 'marketplaces' such as the European Climate Exchange. * It distracts attention from the wider, systemic changes and collective political action that needs to be taken to tackle climate change and it's fundamental root causes.""
"ECX website is unavailable due to technical reasons. We apologize for the incoveniency, and
- expect to be online again soon."...
"The carbon markets themselves were designed by many of the same
- Chicago School economists who brought us
- derivatives trading,
and they adopt a similar logic."...2/1/09, Guardian UK, Reyes
- via Tom Nelson