Michigan lawmaker seeks central source for checking reporters' backgrounds and credentials
5/28: "A Michigan lawmaker wants to license reporters to ensure they’re credible
- and vet them for “good moral character.”
(State) Senator Bruce Patterson is introducing legislation that will regulate reporters much like the state does with hairdressers, auto mechanics and plumbers. Patterson, who also practices constitutional law,
- says that the general public is being overwhelmed by an increasing number of media outlets--traditional, online and citizen generated--and an
- even greater amount misinformation....
“What’s the definition of a reporter? I haven’t been able to find out? What’s a reporter? What’s a journalist?” Patterson said. “I thought you had to have a degree in journalism but apparently not. ...
Patterson said he wants a
- central place where members of the public can go to find out about reporters’
- credentials, background and experience.
“I’m talking about a central depository for information so someone can go find all that out,” Patterson said, comparing his idea to the
- vetting process for expert witnesses who testify in court."...
"Michigan considers law to license journalists," Fox News by J. Winter, via MichaelSavage.comTweet Stumbleupon StumbleUpon