XM MLB Chat

Friday, January 13, 2006

Bob Grant, radio legend

Bob Grant didn't like baseball from what I could tell. But I learned about many other things from listening to him for the past 20 years. Of course, he started in talk radio reportedly 58 years ago, via Chicago, LA, then New York. He popularized "telephone" talk radio when he found an engineer who figured out how to hook up a phone call so a host & listener could hear it. I taped the last hour of Bob's show today on WOR radio, & guess who called in to salute him? Howard Stern. As a Bob Grant listener, I knew that Howard liked him, & I was happy he called to honor Bob. Bob retired today, but those of us who learned so much from him for so long will be listening to hear his voice again.
  • UPDATE, 11/11/08: At 8:10 PM Monday night I tuned in to hear Bob, but no Bob. Instead, unhappily, Curtis Sliwa. I read on a message board that Bob had said he'll be out this week, so I hope he will in fact be back next week. (sm)

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

5 Comments:

  • Thanks for your comment, & glad you
    enjoyed Bob. Howard's politics have
    changed in recent years. I'll be
    happy to send you a copy of Bob's
    last hour. When I've made the tape,
    I'll send you an email.

    By Blogger susan, at 12:05 AM  

  • Thanks, I certainly do remember Frank
    & John---thanks for the tip about
    their show.

    By Blogger susan, at 2:04 PM  

  • hey--Bob was the man--a shame he never made it nationally and got the big bucks--while Bob was still on the air, Howard refused to publicly acknowledge his influence--a sign of Howard's insecurity and the competiveness of the radio business--I missed Bob's last show, and would much appreciate it if you could email the last hour file to paulanthonykennedy@gmail.com

    By Blogger NYcityVAN, at 9:21 PM  

  • hey--Bob was the man--a shame he never made it nationally and got the big bucks--while Bob was still on the air, Howard refused to publicly acknowledge his influence--a sign of Howard's insecurity and the competiveness of the radio business--I missed Bob's last show, and would much appreciate it if you could email the last hour file to paulanthonykennedy@gmail.com

    By Blogger NYcityVAN, at 9:27 PM  

  • Thanks, Paul. I sent you an email about your interest in Bob's last show. I can mail you a copy of the cassette by regular mail--I wouldn't
    know how to do that by email.

    By Blogger susan, at 1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home