XM MLB Chat

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Girardi credits listening to Cubs games on his Dad's car radio for getting him hooked on baseball

1/14/13, "Yankees manager Girardi a big hit at local fundraiser," newstimes, (Ct.) R. Gregory

"I used to ride with my dad and listen to Cubs games in the car," Girardi recalled. "He was a salesman and he would take me with him -- I don't know how he ever sold anything with me with him, but he did. And that's how I fell in love with the game."...

"Education and friendships are so important," said Girardi, who grew up in Illinois, earned an engineering degree from Northwestern and set aside what would've been a successful career as an engineer to play minor-league ball. "My education opened up so many doors for me. It opened up doors for me to baseball because I got a scholarship. It opened up doors for me to be a manager, to be a broadcaster, and to do the things that I really love to do."

He grew up rooting for the Chicago Cubs -- the club with which he first made it to the big leagues. Girardi played 14 seasons in the majors (1989-2003). He won World Series titles in three of his four seasons with the Yankees. He landed his first managerial job with the Florida Marlins in 2006 and was named National League Manager of the Year. He took the helm of the Yankees in 2008 and guided them to a World Series victory in 2009."...

------------------------------------------------------

Ed. note: Please excuse white bars defacing this post. They were put there illegally by my longtime hackers. This is getting to be a badge of honor for me. Someone has put a great deal of effort into trying to shut me up.

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home