XM MLB Chat

Monday, November 07, 2011

MLB play by play man's college profs gave bad info about how to do baseball on radio, Uecker knew better

Cory Provus is the new radio play by play voice of the Minnesota Twins. "Unlike his deal in Milwaukee, where he was employed by WTMJ-AM (620), baseball radio broadcaster Cory Provus will be an employee of the Minnesota Twins, not the radio station that carries Twins games, KSTP-AM (1500).

After three years in Milwaukee working Brewers radio broadcasts with Bob Uecker, Provus joined the Twins as the team’s play-by-play announcer. In Milwaukee, he called three innings each game. In Minnesota,

  • he’ll handle all nine innings with analyst Dan Gladden.

We asked Provus what he learned about baseball broadcasting during his time in Milwaukee.

"My college professors hammer you about dead air, that it’s a bad thing," said Provus, who graduated from Syracuse. "They said there should never be dead air on a broadcast. But Bob taught me that dead air in baseball is sometimes a good thing. He taught me it is important to let the game breathe. Bob is at his best in a ninth inning in a tight game. He is giving all the important details but he is

  • also letting people hear the atmosphere at Miller Park.

That’s something I would listen to and just respect and learn from. You give the balls and strikes, the swing. You don’t lose a play. But it’s OK to just not talk and let the sell-out crowd kind of tell a side story."

Provus said it never entered his thinking that he would take over for Uecker should the legendary broadcaster decide to retire.

"I hope Bob is there for 30 more years," Provus said. "That really never crossed my mind."...

As he has before, Uecker will play a big role in choosing Provus’ replacement.

"Bob has to work with this person for the majority of the year," said Brewers spokesman Tyler Barnes. "Given Bob’s experience, we are not going to make any move without Bob having significant input in this. Bob is a terrific judge of talent and character. I don’t know if he will be listening to 200 tapes that we receive, but he certainly be included in the mix as we start narrowing it down. He is a tremendous asset to the process.""

  • Commenter to above

"I completely agree with Corey about potential dead air. If i was in and out of my car, I could tell if things were positive based on the crowd noise, or lack of..I love the nervous feeling wondering what the score IS..in this day and age, you can quickly go to your phone and get a score if it bothered you that much. I hate the fact that guys on tv like Brian Anderson ARE so chatty. HE should think about what Corey says. We are seeing the game. Let us watch and enjoy it. Let me hear the crowd. I see the score. I dont need to constantly be told that this homer wins it for Milwaukee. Enough. I thought Corey did a very good job mixing in talking and silence and the run of guys under Ueck who go on and become lead guys continues to grow! Good luck Corey and I hope you announce a lot of losses for the Twins vs the Crew! Have fun with it! ps, no roof in Minny, you may want to invest in 1 of Uecks pocket dopplers..youre going to have a few rain/snow delays."

Labels: ,

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home