Sportscaster Sal Marchiano retires after 40 years
- Marchiano, who has spent more than 40 years on the air in New York on either radio or television, left after Thursday's telecast....
"Sal made a decision to retire at the end of this year, and last week was Sal's last week on the air as our sports anchor," a station spokeswoman said yesterday, confirming the departure.
- Marchiano joined Ch.11 in 1994 as a weekend sportscaster and has been the station's lead sportscaster since 1995.
- Before Ch. 11, Marchiano's storied career included stops at WCBS/Ch.2, ESPN, WABC/Ch.7, WNEW radio and elsewhere.
He began his career in 1963 on radio and was a throwback to the early days of local television,
- when sportscasters mingled with the athletes and hung out together
- when their newscasts were over....