XM MLB Chat

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Papelbon on Rivera: "We have an awesome relationship."

Boston Globe: ""We have an awesome relationship," Papelbon said of Rivera. "I saw him this morning. We were hanging out with [Sox bullpen coach] Gary Tuck, who was with Mariano here.
  • "We have a great relationship, just from the fact that we understand each other and have that mutual respect for each other. I've always referred to him as 'The Godfather.' He's the godfather of closers. He obviously has done a lot of great things for this role. He's done so much to make this role what it is today. I have a lot of respect for him, from that aspect.

"I'm a big believer in paying your dues. If I have to step aside for an elder statesman, I'll do it.

  • "At the same time, I'm going after it. There's no question about it. One day, I might surpass him. If I said I didn't want to do that, I'd be questioning myself, my own character.""
From Gordon Edes article, "Door Might be Shut on AL Closer in All Star Game," 7/15/08
  • Terry Francona's first responsibility is to the corporate ownership of the Boston Red Sox. Why would they let Mariano Rivera have this day? They've made it quite clear when it comes to media, they're the Yankees' Daddy.
As Bill Madden reported, on July 3rd Francona said he'd use Rivera, but at the point of wide media attention took it back. No surprise. Why would Red Sox ownership help out the Yankee image and in particular the MVP of the franchise? (sm)

Labels:

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home