John Sterling, 'Baseball Meets Broadway' show, 11/24
John was interviewed on Mike and the Mad Dog Tuesday, 11/20 about the 1-night only show he created with some of his long-time actor friends. The show is Saturday night 11/24 in Irvington, New York. Lo and behold MLB.com has an article about it too!: (MLB.com quotes Sterling):
- ""I'll tell some stories about Broadway and baseball, Brad and Barbara will do great versions of some classic songs, and maybe I'll even sing one, too," Sterling said before revealing that he'll perform the old Robert Preston chestnut "I Won't Send Roses" from the Jerry Herman show "Mack and Mabel."
"Preston kind of 'talked' that song, so I figured that would be a good one for me to do," Sterling said.
- One of Sterling's stories will undoubtedly chronicle the most famous collision between the grand old game and the American theatre, when Boston Red Sox owner and theater producer Harry Frazee allegedly sold Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees in 1919 to finance the show, "No, No, Nanette.""
- From MLB.com article by Doug Miller, "Baseball Meets Broadway-Voice of the Yankees to Talk Show Tunes and Baseball," 11/21/07
P.S. The MLB.com article has 2 Sterling calls linked at the top. The best.
- Link to Sterling's WFAN interview.
- Another article details the Sterling show from baltimore.broadwayworld.com