Valentine of course former manager of the NY Mets, discusses play in Japan (his team played against Matsuzaka in the same league). Also:
- Very high on Matsuzaka, says he was "born to be on the mound." Has a variety of breaking pitches, but Valentine isn't aware Matsuzaka has ever said he has a "gyro" ball.
- He pitched every 6 days in Japan, will pitch every 5 in US, Valentine sees no problem.
- Mike asks how he compares to Pedro, & Valentine says Pedro was more "electric."
- Valentine had not known the final posting amount of $51.1 M until Chris & Mike told him.
- Regarding WBC and Valentine's own team this year: 8 FROM VALENTINE'S TEAM WERE IN THE WBC, 4 WHO WERE PITCHERS BLEW OUT HALF-WAY THROUGH THE REGULAR SEASON. (I must've missed this small item amidst the national radio and tv campaign against Steinbrenner for wanting to protect his pitchers).
- Valentine continues to manage a Japanese team, but is also going to Dubai this winter to try and set up some baseball teams.
- Chris Russo opened the show congratulating ORESTES DESTRADE AS THE ONLY GUY TO GET THE WINNING BID CORRECT.