XM MLB Chat

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Cashman Says Arod Won't Be Traded--NY Times

ARLINGTON, Tex., July 24 — The idea that the Yankees must trade Alex Rodriguez is growing louder on television, talk radio, Internet chats and some newspaper columns. But there is one problem: For all of his struggles lately, Rodriguez is staying put.

“There’s a lot of runaway-train stuff,” Cashman said. “I’m looking to improve the club, and that’s not a way I can improve the club. It’s not something even being considered. He is not going anywhere, and that’s that. I can’t make it any clearer than that.”

Asked how he reacts to the notion of trading Rodriguez, Manager Joe Torre said he found it amusing.

“You have to laugh at it,” Torre said. “It’s been a non-issue. There’s never been any consideration that I’m aware of.”

After the game, Rodriguez was asked about the booing he receives at Yankee Stadium, which has become such an issue that the former Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani talked about it on WFAN on Monday. Rodriguez emphasized the positive.

“I think Yankee fans are behind me,” he said. “I love Yankee fans. They’re very passionate. I also remember them cheering very loudly.”

He compared his recent struggles to those of Tiger Woods, who failed to make the cut at the United States Open last month but won the British Open on Sunday.

“People were throwing him under every bus, and he came back and won the British Open,” Rodriguez said. “Hopefully I can come back and shut people up.”

DAMON SCRATCHED Johnny Damon was a late scratch from Monday’s lineup after his back stiffened up while getting into a car to come to Ameriquest Field. Damon underwent treatment all game and said he could not have played.

By Tyler Kepner 7/24/06

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home