XM MLB Chat

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

After Nolan Ryan broke into the big leagues he had to pump gas during the winter to make ends meet. Ryan thanked Marvin Miller in 1999 speech


"Nolan Ryan, Hall of Fame induction speech, 1999: "Also, I would like to thank somebody that definitely has had an impact on myself and my family and many ballplayers sitting in this audience today and that was Marvin Miller. I came into the game when I broke into the major leagues, and the minimum salary was $7,000, and I had to go home in the winter time and get a job. And the first year that I was in the big leagues, the job I had was at a service station pumping gas from 3:00 to 9:00pm and closing the service station so Ruth and I could live through the winter until baseball season started. She worked in a bookstore at the college. And because of Marvin's efforts and the people in baseball, we brought that level up to where the players weren't put in that situation. Marvin, I appreciate the job that you have done and the impact that it's had on my family. Thank you." from ThanksMarvin.com, via caller to WFAN Tony Paige show

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home