Steinbrenner High School children forced to hear Islamist political speaker, Soc. Studies teacher Miliziano in charge. Updated: Revised Policy
- Update #5, 2/29/12, Hillsborough County parents met Tues. night 2/28 with school board about outside speakers in children's classrooms in particular Hassan Shibly who was at the meeting, spoke for awhile, then exited and began prayers with several others visible through windows to parents still in the meeting. Pam reports nothing was finalized about/if Shibly will be allowed access to unformed minds of captive children but the matter will be revisited at a later date.
- Update, 1/7/12, "The main person responsible (at Steinbrenner High School) was Kelly R. Miliziano, a teacher in the Social Studies Department at Steinbrenner. And she announced Wednesday that the school has scheduled additional religious speakers to balance the CAIR operative — a Hindu priest or a Christian pastor.
The problem with that is that (Hassan) Shibly is a political speaker. A Hindu priest or Christian pastor won’t counter the poisonous propaganda that Shibly spews to our impressionable young minds. An informed counter-jihad speaker such as Robert Spencer, Nonie Darwish, Wafa Sultan or I myself must be given a chance to speak, so as to counter the lies of Hamas-tied CAIR.
Hamas-linked CAIR should not be speaking at all, but if the public school shills insist on presenting jihadi views, they must provide freedom lovers with the same opportunity.
- Further, political speakers should be off limits on school grounds.
Meanwhile, the email exchanges between CAIR and Steinbrenner High School are revealing. Miliziano wrote this in a November 14 email: “Every year I invite a representative from CAIR to speak to our AP World History Students.” After CAIR-Tampa responded favorably, Miliziano wrote again: “Over the years I have had many speakers from CAIR come to my classes, and it has been such a good learning experience for the students.”
Miliziano said that she “regularly asks” Shibly to speak. This is despite the fact that Shibly has a track record of defending jihad terrorist groups and acting as an apologist for the worldwide jihad and Islamic supremacism. Following the 2006 Israel-Lebanon War, Shibly granted legitimacy to the jihad terrorist group Hezb’allah by characterizing it as a “resistance movement” that provides valued social services to the Lebanese people. “They’re absolutely not a terrorist organization,” Shibly said, and “any war against them is illegitimate.”
Yet Miliziano refused to respond to parents’ requests to vet the notorious Mr. Shibly. Instead, she attacked the parents who complained. She even called parents’ concerns about CAIR “baseless and Islamophobic.” Yet although it presents itself as a civil rights group, CAIR actually has many links to Islamic supremacist and jihad terror groups. CAIR’s cofounders Omar Ahmad and Niwad Awad attended a Hamas planning meeting in Philadelphia in 1993 where they conspired with Hamas operatives to raise funds for Hamas. And several former CAIR officials have been convicted of various jihad-related crimes.
This should be grounds for Miliziano’s immediate dismissal. Freedom lovers should urge Steinbrenner’s principal, Brenda Grasso, to fire Miliziano at once, demand equal time for freedom fighters, while calling upon Steinbrenner High cease and desist from inviting Muslim Brotherhood groups to speak to public school students. Call for Ms. Miliziano’s removal. Demand equal time for freedom fighters. Brenda Grasso’s email is email@example.com.
One parent of a Steinbrenner student, whose child went through Shibly’s indoctrination, wrote me that his daughter told him that Shibly said that “only 4% or 6% of Muslims were terrorists,” and that his presentation was so positive toward Islam as to be “borderline proselytizing.”
This parent went to Steinbrenner the morning of December 5 and spoke to Kelly King, the Assistant Principal for Curriculum. King confirmed that the speaker who addressed his daughter’s class was indeed a representative from Hamas-linked CAIR. “I explained to Ms. King,” wrote the parent, “that I strongly objected to CAIR being involved in the school, and recited some of CAIR’s more infamous highlights. She replied that the presentation was part of a history of religion unit in their history class. I told her that I have no problem with students being taught the history of Islam, but if the school was going to have a speaker do that, they should invite an Imam, not a representative from a religious based political organization, particularly one with such a dubious history.”
In response, King equated “a Christian pastor to a PAC” and ultimately referred the parent to Miliziano, who said that she regularly invited Shibly to give presentations, and “that the statements I had made about CAIR were baseless and Islamophobic,” even though the parent had expressly told her that he had no problem with the school bringing in an imam to discuss the history of Islam. When the parent tried to explain to her that “the school was associating itself with a religious-based political organization that propagandizes for Islam & Sharia, and are terrorist apologists,” Miliziano
- “completely dismissed these concerns.”
And despite Miliziano’s assurances that a Hindu priest and a Christian pastor would address the class, so far only Shibly has done so.
- This is unconscionable. Freedom lovers must demand equal time."
1/7/12, "Pamela Geller, Big Government Column: Hamas-linked CAIR in Your Kid’s Classroom," Pamela Geller, Atlas Shrugs
- 8/21/2009, "Steinbrenner High School getting ready to open," St. Pete Times
- 12/19/11, "Hamas High School in Florida" Pamela Geller, Atlas Shrugs
- Ed. note: On Dec. 4, 2011 Pamela posted a CAIR-Tampa press release (copied below) announcing completion of presentations to area high schools. High schools weren't named in the press release.
(continuing, Atlas): "However, now we have been able to identify one school -- Steinbrenner High School -- where a representative of CAIR spoke to students. An informed source tells me it was the notorious Hassan Shibly.
Shibly has a track record of defending jihad terrorist groups and acting as an apologist for the worldwide jihad and Islamic supremacism.
Following the 2006 Israel-Lebanon War, Shibly granted legitimacy to Hezb'allah by characterizing it as a "resistance movement" that provides valued social services to the Lebanese people. "They're absolutely not a terrorist organization," Shibly said, and "any war against them is illegitimate" -- more on that here.
Nonetheless, he was welcomed into the school and spoke to several classes throughout the day,
- including AP World History, World History, and World Religions.
The email exchanges between CAIR and Steinbrenner High School are revealing. Kelly Miliziano, a World History teacher at Steinbrenner, wrote this in a November 14 email:
After CAIR-Tampa responded favorably, Miliziano wrote again: "Over the years I have had many speakers from CAIR come to my classes, and it has been such a good learning experience for the students." She added: "I would prefer to have a speaker for each period of the day so that students can really interact with the speaker and ask questions.""Every year"? "Many speakers from CAIR"? "Each period of the day"? Hamas-linked groups are regularly talking to high school students? Unindicted co-conspirators in the largest terror funding trial in our nation's history are being given a platform to mislead impressionable teenagers? Miliziano suggested topics that would have given CAIR a magnificent platform to spread their disinformation among the students:
- Topics can range from :
- The mission of CAIR
- Basic beliefs, practices, history of....
- Confronting stereotypes and misconceptions (a favorite of students)
- Why does Islam look differently around the world?
- Human Rights and Islam
- Women and Islam in different countries
- Any other topic you think students should know about.
These are important subjects for students to study, but Hamas-tied CAIR is the last place where they can find out the truth about them. Is this what our public schools are doing with our children -- subjecting them to indoctrination and propaganda? That is child abuse. Where are the counter voices? Where are the voices of freedom?
Steinbrenner High School officials should have known that CAIR is a Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas-linked organization that is dedicated to spreading disinformation about Islam and terror, opposing anti-terror activity, and defaming freedom fighters. CAIR was one of the many Islamic groups that were named an unindicted co-conspirator in the Holy Land Foundation Hamas jihad funding trial. They are in the top five of the AFDI Threats to Freedom Index.
Read more: the rest....
Milizano "preferred to have a speaker for each period of the day so that students can really interact with the speaker and ask questions."...Hillsborough County Public Schools
MaryEllen Elia, Superintendent
901 E Kennedy Blvd P.O. Box 3408 Tampa, Fl 33601 USA
12/4/11, "Child Abuse: Hamas-Linked CAIR Poisoning Minds of High School Students," Pamela Geller
- "Our children have become pawns in the information war."
- Comments to Pamela Geller's article:
1. In an email to the high school: It seems you've invited "a group with known links to terrorist organizaton, Hamas, to speak propaganda to an entrapped audience. At the very least if world history is important that you invite also a Jewish Rabbi and a Christian...."
2. Steinbrenner High School should give equal time to someone else to explain more about CAIR's activities.
- 1. "Harod"
"Thanks to Pamela for bringing this to our attention, Hamas has no business anywhere near children. Its hard enough for adults to deal with propaganda but its almost impossible for children. USF in Tampa had a professor which resigned to become the president of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad. Now its my understanding USF is pursuing Arab billionaires to send their kids to their school and donate money and buildings."
- 2. Boston+Harold
"What are the chances of the school inviting Tim Tebow as a speaker? ...The concept of Orwellian thought police is not too far fetched at all. This crew is good."
- 3. Nina in MA