Wilpon and Katz once offered a piece of the Mets to Madoff-NY Times
- 9/22/11, "Suit Throws Open Window Into Mets Owners’ Holdings and History," NY Times, R. Sandomir and K. Belson
- they held their enterprise out to the public as an expert investment operation.
And in one of the more striking revelations to come to light, it was disclosed that Wilpon and Katz, who fought long and hard to make the Mets an exclusive holding of their family,
- once offered a piece of the team to Madoff....
Wilpon and one of his senior partners say they were aware of investigations of Madoff by the Securities and Exchange Commission
- but were always comforted that nothing seemed to come of them....
Among its best-known developments are Citi Field, the $800 million home of the Mets, and the Lipstick Building in Manhattan, where Madoff had his offices and where
- he met Wilpon and Katz for lunch from time to time.
- then bought him out in 2002."...
He added: “Their claim has to be, ultimately, that they weren’t aware of the scam being perpetrated and therefore have no obligation to return funds that were paid out to them. That shouldn’t make it important whether they were sophisticated or not.”"Tweet Stumbleupon StumbleUpon