Cleveland Indians catcher Carlos Santana looks to be back on field after injury last August v Red Sox
- But, its leader and Manny Acta is convinced that Santana has the tools to become a stronghold of the group and its full potential, if in health.
"He is key to the team if the season starts tomorrow and he's well, will be our cleanup hitter," Acta said during his appearance at the Sports Café Listin Diario. Santana, who
- came to Cleveland in July 2008 from the Los Angeles Dodgers in the trade for Casey Blake
made the conversion from third base to receiver in 2007. Hits on both sides of the plate with force, has a strong arm, discipline in the batter's box and good hand-eye coordination.
- To Acta, the prodigious young part of the crop of new Dominican hitters waving the tricolor flag on foreign shores for the valuable athleticism he possesses.
"He's an awesome hitter, belongs to the new breed of Dominican hitters are going to put up the name of the Dominican Republic is
- not super aggressive hitter prototype of the Caribbean", he added.
"In his first year in the majors got more walks (37) than strikeouts (29), that speaks very highly of him," said the foreman of 41 years.
Considered the catcher of the future for the Indians, the promising 24 year old being praised everywhere and taught that all the hype about his qualities were not exaggerated.
Debut Creole receiver made his debut last season on June 11 after being called up from Triple A Columbus team, started at full steam in their first ten games where he hit .355 with two homers and eight RBIs in the majors.
- However, in August suffered a serious collision at the plate with running back Ryan Kalish Boston Red Sox it out of circulation for the rest of the season.
But Acta has had a good opinion of him and since they joined in Cleveland last year, has worked very closely with its development and has been seen in their proper perspective all the skills he possesses.
"He handles great on defense, has earned the respect of the rotation pitchers, is a guy who cares about improving enjoys watching the videos, study, is very humble, I was very impressed and is a rising star" said the young strategist, one of the five Dominicans who have had the privilege of leading in the big tent.
On the situation of recovering the promise quisqueyana at number two, the native of San Pedro de Macoris said that
- Santana is in the process to be ready from day one in spring training next year.
"Carlos is now in Arizona, took the responsibility to stay in the U.S. to recover from injury and should be applauded, he
- will come around for a few days for Christmas, but will leave immediately for Arizona" he said.
Santana, who belongs to the Lions of the Chosen in winter ball, played his last game before injury on August 2 and accumulated batting .260 with six homers and 22 RBIs in 46 games. In minor leagues, the rookie was left feeling more than
- winning the MVP Award of the Eastern League (AA) in 2009 and the California League in 2008."
from Listin Diario, 12/16/10, "Acta has good prognosis for catcher Carlos Santana," by Freddy Ortiz Pujols, photo from Listin Diario, google translation from Spanish
Tweet Stumbleupon StumbleUpon