Update: 11/6, Professor Harold Lewis sends a follow up letter to his 10/6 resignation from the American Physical Society. He again references enormous financial conflicts of interest between global warming profiteers and scientists, suggesting that
Emeritus Professor of Physics at UC Santa Barbara Harold Lewis
- those with financial interests not be a member of the American Physical Society. posted on Watts Up with That.
writes a letter resigning from the American Physical Society to
the Society's president at Princeton University, dated 10/6/10.
From the letter:
So what has the APS, as an organization, done in the face of this challenge? It has accepted the corruption as the norm, and gone along with it....
as if the APS were master of the universe. It is not, and I am embarrassed that our leaders seem to think it is.
- pompous and asinine advice to all world governments,
APS management has gamed the problem from the beginning, to suppress serious conversation about the merits of the climate change claims. Do you wonder that I have lost confidence in the organization?...
- This is not fun and games, these are serious matters involving vast fractions of our national substance, and the reputation of the Society as a scientific society is at stake. ....
Your own Physics Department (of which you are chairman) would lose millions a year
- There are indeed trillions of dollars involved, to say nothing of the fame and glory (and frequent trips to exotic islands) that go with being a member of the club.
When Penn State absolved Mike Mann of wrongdoing, and the University of East Anglia did the same for Phil Jones, they cannot have been unaware of
- if the global warming bubble burst.
- the financial penalty for doing otherwise. "...
American Thinker, 10/11, "Big money and big politics have corrupted Big Science, and global warming is the proof.
The American Physical Society is the pre-eminent academic organization of American physicists, and supportive of the global warming fraud, which has generated billions of dollars in research funding for Big Science. In an extraordinary act, a prominent scientist has resigned from the APS, in protest of its forsaking of genuine science.
- Generally, scientists do not voluntarily separate themselves from such honors as membership in the APS.
Harold Lewis, Emeritus Professor of Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara, sent the following letter
to Curtis G. Callan Jr, Princeton University, President of the American Physical Society...The letter speaks for itself, laying out the problem of corruption of big science."...
UPDATE: 10/15, NY Times Dot Earth 'Opinion Page'
writer Andrew Revkin sends email to Professor Lewis about his letter. Mr.
Revkin seeks another opinion on the letter, and the arbiter winces, says Mr. Lewis cannot be taken seriously due to his "anger," "tone," and "extreme" viewpoint. Mr. Revkin says he agrees with that assessment.
This is the standard method in global warming (and everything else) to get rid of views and people that don't conform. They don't quite say you have mental problems, but you might as well (anger, tone, extreme). At the very least, you will be shunned
. Those who scream and yell and destroy things in the name of saving the 'planet' are not the problem. Those who write books aimed at children with unformed minds selling them catastrophic global warming are not the problem. It's one dignified, clear voiced, well written letter by an esteemed scientist in the face of a multi-trillion dollar campaign. That's the problem.
- Aside from that, it's interesting that Revkin found 20 year old writings of Prof. Lewis stating the opposite of what he believes today. That is, 20 years ago he wrote he did believe greenhouse gases were a danger. Revkin has asked Lewis how he happened to change his mind, and will post results when he receives them.
Reference: June, 2010, NASA's James Hansen, a climate celebrity, is awarded a $550,000 prize for steering climate information into the realm of "public policy."
Labels: Emeritus Professor Harold Lewis resigns from prestigious science society over their acceptance of the global warming scam