MLB umpiring executive Solomon reassigned-NY Times
- The executive, Jimmie Lee Solomon, has overseen on-the-field operations, which includes umpiring and security, since his appointment as executive vice president for baseball operations in 2005. He will now oversee baseball’s academies in the United States and Puerto Rico, minor league operations and the annual Civil Rights Game.
Selig said in a written statement that the Hall of Fame outfielder Frank Robinson, who has been a special assistant in the commissioner’s office, will now oversee baseball operations, umpiring and security.
- Robinson will report to John McHale Jr., who will take over Solomon’s title on an interim basis.
Several people within baseball have said that the quality of umpiring has deteriorated since Solomon took over in 2005, replacing the longtime baseball official, Sandy Alderson."...
- NY Times Bats Blog, "Selig reassigns umpiring executive Solomon" ****
- About interim boss John McHale, he's a big fan of global warming, the kind with carbon trading, which is entirely separate from being a fan of clean air and water:
This week on Sierra Club Radio: 1) John McHale, Executive Vice President of Major League Baseball, on how the All-Star Game is going green"....
- (MLB.com, 3/11/08, last sentence in article): ""I think the core idea here transcends politics," said McHale. "This is very much in line with
- the best thinking in corporate activity today. Almost everyone who's
- a parent hears it from their children when we go home and it is the way, the model of living we need to embrace for the future."