Cap-Gate: Andre Dawson to enter Hall of Fame as Montreal Expo-ponders way for Cubs cap to be in picture
- Since 2001, the cap a player wears in the Hall of Fame has not been his choice alone. Andre Dawson ponders points at which he might bring the cap of his choice into the picture.
- “The Hall clearly stated their major concern is the history of the game, and that’s what really played into their decision,” Dawson told WMVP-AM in Chicago, an ESPN Radio affiliate. “I’m disappointed. I can probably say that because Chicago was my preference.”
Dawson played his first 10 full seasons in Montreal compared with six with the Cubs. He had his best season in Chicago, winning the National League Most Valuable Player award in 1987.
- “I know the difference in the 10 to 6 years probably was something of a consideration on their part,” Dawson told WMVP....
Dawson also told the radio station that he has considered wearing a Cubs hat during his acceptance speech as a way to acknowledge those fans.
“I don’t want to do anything that might be an embarrassment to someone or show someone up, that’s not my character,” Dawson said. “But there will be some way I will try to acknowledge the Cubs fans to show just how important they were to me.
- I did think about at some point in time during the speech putting a Cubs cap on, but I don’t know if that’s appropriate.”"
- Either way it's worth millions to Dawson, Bill Madden, NY Daily News,1/9/10