XM MLB Chat

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cap-Gate: Andre Dawson to enter Hall of Fame as Montreal Expo-ponders way for Cubs cap to be in picture

  • Since 2001, the cap a player wears in the Hall of Fame has not been his choice alone. Andre Dawson ponders points at which he might bring the cap of his choice into the picture.
"The National Baseball Hall of Fame has decided that Andre Dawson will represent the Expos and not the Chicago Cubs, a decision that Dawson isn’t entirely on board with.
  • The Hall clearly stated their major concern is the history of the game, and that’s what really played into their decision,” Dawson told WMVP-AM in Chicago, an ESPN Radio affiliate. “I’m disappointed. I can probably say that because Chicago was my preference.”

Dawson played his first 10 full seasons in Montreal compared with six with the Cubs. He had his best season in Chicago, winning the National League Most Valuable Player award in 1987.

  • “I know the difference in the 10 to 6 years probably was something of a consideration on their part,” Dawson told WMVP....

Dawson also told the radio station that he has considered wearing a Cubs hat during his acceptance speech as a way to acknowledge those fans.

“I don’t want to do anything that might be an embarrassment to someone or show someone up, that’s not my character,” Dawson said. “But there will be some way I will try to acknowledge the Cubs fans to show just how important they were to me.

  • I did think about at some point in time during the speech putting a Cubs cap on, but I don’t know if that’s appropriate.”"
from NY Times Bats Blog, 1/27/10, "Against wishes, Dawson will enter Hall as an Expo," by Justin Sablich

Labels: , ,

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

2 Comments:

  • Just like the baseball writer's belief, and rightfully so, the vote is indeed theirs, created by them and exclusive to them, the Hall of Fame is it's own entitiy. I know you know that. Because they are not tethered to MLB, I trust them to make more prudent decisions about the documentation of our National Pastime, than I do you or me. I can appreciated Hawk's desire to enter the Hall as a Cub. I remember those late 70's & 80's well. Hawk on the Cubs was akin to Pete Rose on the Phils. The template is etched in my mind. Andre Dawson should enter the Hall as an Expo. It's right. If that doesn't sway you, blame Dave Winfield! - whom I like.
    Aside from that, howdy neighbor.
    http://thebrooklyntrolleyblogger.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger BrooklynTrolleyBlogger, at 10:40 PM  

  • Nice to hear from a neighbor-my father was born and raised in Brooklyn, still has not gotten over the Dodgers leaving. On the Hall of Fame, I hope Dawson ends up happy somehow, it's unfortunate he's not at the moment. I have heard that MLB and the HOF are supposedly separate but I don't believe it. Bud Selig is especially invested in anything involving awards. Look at what he did to keep Marvin Miller out. Selig has a prize locker full of perks for MLB writers who are well behaved.

    By Blogger susan, at 11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home