"The 2001 audio tape of Barack Obama describing the Constitution as a document of "negative liberties" reveals an utterly Orwellian Obama....
- And it's all happening so quietly and sweetly...how bad could it be?
Notions like "positive liberty" are part of the web of thought control by language manipulation which Orwell described in 1984. ...
These unguarded remarks by Obama display a mind trapped in a reality in which words are phantoms....
- Only in our age of collective thinking and untidy language
- could such a thing as "positive liberty" be conceived.
- The state power to coerce is not liberty.
- Government does some things which reduce our private rights and yet which increase the common good.
Politics is all about where the boundary between broad notions of promoting the general welfare by state coercion and preserving liberty should be.
True charity is always a free act. That does not make the moral duty of charity any less, but it means that it is a function of liberty. But it seems as if Obama's mind cannot grasp this sort of distinction.
But implying that more state power somehow increases liberty is beyond mere Leftism.
- Politicians on the Left have often argued that liberty should be reined in more tightly so that "the people" can live better.
Is the Orwellian character of Obama's mind a surprise? No. He is a man young enough to have grown up in a
The subliminal contradictions of popular entertainment, the indoctrinary quality of his education, the pandemic use of "politically correct" language, the nonexistence in Obama's universe of
almost every single aspect of the life of Barack Obama dovetails into someone for whom the word "liberties" has no authentic meaning.
- which numb his conscience --
- This is the newness of Obama in our history. Leftists like George McGovern and Jimmy Carter lived real lives. Both served in the military. Both seemed to have been genuinely religious. Both worked in private business. Both came from states that were conservative, and so they had to defend their political philosophies. Barack
- It is not just his life, so marinated in rote theory, that makes Obama unique. He is an early prototype of a new creature in our lives: Orwell's children, if you will. These are the people who can honestly believe that September 11th was an "inside job" or that the CIA invented crack cocaine to hurt blacks. This is the generation
which has grown up with no intellectual or cultural system of checks and balances.
- Iron and dull control of education, destruction of the nuclear family, disappearance of religion in public life, degradation of art and entertainment into tasteless mush, and, most of all, the politicization of everything in life -- these forces have created
There is something about Obama, many of us sense, which is different from any other politician. Socialism is inadequate to explain Obama. He is both more and less than that. The Left with all its odd menagerie of causes and claims is not enough either. Obama is part of that but part of something more disturbing.
from American Thinker, Bruce Walker, via Lucianne.com
- He is someone who can say "negative liberties" unaware that
Also--this approach assumes workers will continue to produce at current levels.
- P.S. The 2001 tape referenced at the open of this article was minimized or ignored by big media. (sm)
- Not happening. I would work as little as possible, produce as little as possible. Why should I do more since it will be taken away?
- That's already happening to a large degree, but anymore who would be dumb enough to agree to slavery?
- How are they going to make me work more? Beat me, starve me? Fine, go ahead. (sm)
Labels: The longed-for coming Obama slavery