Mike and the Mad Dog burst the bubble of local newspapers' agenda
- (Neil Best, 6/22/08): ""Mike and the Mad Dog" pioneered the sports talk radio genre, which still was in its infancy when the show debuted Sept. 5, 1989, and it quickly began to challenge
- the print media's traditional power and influence.*
- influencing even what sports editors at newspapers considered
- important, to the dismay of their own reporters and columnists.
- At times, the duo had a direct impact on events, such as when they encouraged the Mets to pursue Mike Piazza in 1998."...
- *Their interruption of 'the print media's traditional power and influence' was, of course, their most life-saving contribution. Assuming the public deserves more than one point of view. (sm)