"Phillies Make Biggest Carbon-Offset Buy in Pro Sports to Date"-5/1/08
- Bypassing available news about "carbon offset" scams is effortless with the heavyweight dudes MLB lined up for the Phillies' 'announcement.' One official present let us know those who don't agree are just not aware:
- "This initiative was announced jointly by
- Pennsylvania Gov. Edward G. Rendell,
- Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter.,
- Phillies president David Montgomery,
- John McHale, Jr., executive vice president, administration & chief information officer for MLB,
- Don Welsh, regional administrator for the EPA and
- Allen Hershkowitz, a senior scientist for the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC).
"This is such an important initiative and will benefit everyone involved," Rendell said. "It's so vital to preserve our environment and make it stronger. Think about all the ketchup and mustard packets, for instance, that people use and throw away into the containers every night. We're going to replace those packets with dispensers. With 81 home games and all the food consumed, that will save so much. I think the Phillies are a shining example of how to step up and take the lead here."
- Additionally, this initiative also reinforces MLB's "Team Greening Program" and its commitment to support and coordinate the many environmentally sensitive practices at each ballclub, created in partnership with the NRDC.
"It's a huge announcement, very huge," said Hershkowitz. "The Phillies' commitment we hope will set a major example for all people in Philadelphia to follow what they've done here. There are so many threats connected with global warming that the average person may not fully realize. By the Phillies doing what they did [Wednesday], it's a huge step in the right direction.""...
- From MLB.com, "Phils to Lead Clean Energy Movement; Club Purchases 20 million kilowatt hours of Renewable Energy," by Andy Jasner, 4/30/08
Tweet Stumbleupon StumbleUpon