Less than a day after trial set against new Marlins stadium
- the Florida Marlins are beginning to loosen their purse strings.
- Star shortstop Hanley Ramirez has agreed to the framework of a $70 million, six-year contract to remain with the Marlins, a person familiar with the negotiations said Saturday.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press because the deal hadn't been completed. It's expected to be announced next weekend when the team returns home from a seven-game trip.
The deal was first reported by SI.com.
- long-sought, retractable-roof stadium near downtown, which is
- expected to substantially increase revenue for a franchise with a history of poor attendance and tight budgets."....
- Reference: AP report by Steven Wine, "Ramirez Close to Long-term deal with Marlins," 5/10/08