So. Florida Sun-Sentinel Maucker Named E&P Editor of the Year
- (THIS NEWSPAPER WITHDREW FROM BASEBALL AWARDS VOTING 2/5/06 AMIDST CONCERNS OF REMUNERATION FOR WINNERS AND OTHER ETHICS MATTERS. THEY MUST'VE KNOWN SOMETHING--RED SOX PITCHER MATSUZAKA WAS JUST PROMISED $8 MILLION IN INCENTIVES BASED ON CY YOUNG AND MVP VOTING.) sm
- "E&P revealed that Maucker was selected for his leadership role in growing the newspaper's readership and integrating marketing efforts -- while nurturing aggressive watchdog journalism that was recognized by winning three finalists spots in the 2006 Pulitzer Prizes.
- “I think at the [Tribune] Tower, they’d get rid of the Chicago Tribune before they’d ever let go of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel,” one former Tribune executive confides, only half-jokingly.
- On Feb. 5, 2006, the following post appeared on this blog:
SOUTH FLORIDA SUN- SENTINEL WITHDRAWS FROM BASEBALL AWARDS
Beginning today, Brian White writes, the Sun-Sentinel will no longer vote on baseball or college football awards. He says they'll report the news, not make it. The Sun-Sentinel joins a growing list of newspapers who no longer permit their writers to vote on these awards, including Cy Young, MVP, & Hall of Fame.
- Among other things, the remuneration for winners made the paper reconsider its participation.