XM MLB Chat

Monday, July 31, 2006

Note to Arod--Bruce Sutter was relentlessly booed, too...

Bruce Sutter didn't leave baseball the way he wanted, booed relentlessly when injuries sapped his talent. That doesn't matter anymore.

"I am in awe," said Sutter, who joined Hoyt Wilhelm, Rollie Fingers and Dennis Eckersley as the only relief pitchers in the Hall. "I wish I could turn back the clock and play one more game.

"When I got the call in January, it brought closure to a baseball career that did not end how I hoped it would," said Sutter, whose last four years in Atlanta were filled with taunts after rotator-cuff problems eventually forced him to retire with 300 saves after only 12 years in the major leagues. "It answered the question: 'Do you belong?' The thought of having my name in is truly an honour and humbling experience."

Sutter fought his emotions throughout his speech. "This day is about the people who helped me along the way. I would not be standing here without them," said Sutter, his familiar beard now turned grey. "My dad was never too tired to play catch. It was his temperament that rubbed off on me." AP Report by John Kekis

  • People that boo their own players are schmucks. Unless the guy's not running to 1B or things like that. sm

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home