On July 4, 1776, it became necessary for the US to declare its independence from Great Britain, its multitudes of offices, and its harassment
- "IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.
- When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them,
- a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them
- to the separation....
- He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
- He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only....
- For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world: For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
- For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:
- For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:...
- Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury.
Above, World War II US Air Force pilot and his Stearman biplane; below same soldier in his Air Force Uniform sometime in the 1940's, surviving. Thanks, Dad.
- Born in Brooklyn in 1922.
Tweet Stumbleupon StumbleUpon