XM MLB Chat

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Boss of WABC radio in 1988 told his new program director, 'You can have the station. I get the Yankees.'

7/14/13, "Re: Clear Channel's WOR-710 bids on Yankees radio," NY Radio Message Board

"Posted by John Mainelli at 19:09:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Clear Channel's WOR-710 bids on Yankees radio posted by Kevin L. Sealy on July 12, 2013 at 12:23:34:

Totally depends on the deal. Some teams sell all the advertising themselves and pay stations for blocks of time for the games. I'm pretty sure WABC's deals with the NJ Devils and Seton Hall were 100% that way, but I tried to ignore them even more than the Yankees. Sadly, all three were preordained and out of my control. When I got hired in 1988 the manager said, "You can have the station. I get the Yankees." Fine with me, sez I. He hired John Sterling and I got the heat in the press for commercials running over pitches."

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home