XM MLB Chat

Friday, May 04, 2012

Mariano Rivera says he will pitch in 2013, won't go out like this

Kansas City, Mo. "Mariano Rivera said definitively that he will pitch next season less than 24 hours after tearing his ACL in batting practice.

"I'm coming back," he said. "Write it down in big letters."

Rivera was on crutches today and said that he's heard he could be back to work in 3-5 months. He would not rule out pitching this season but said if everything goes right he'll be completely ready by spring training next year.

He plans on telling his teammates as a group, something he hadn't done by the time the clubhouse opened to the media.

Rivera said he decided late Thursday night in his hotel room and that he will fly back to New York Saturday.

"You don't go out like this," Rivera said.

He was optimistic that he could breeze through the recovery process.

"I'm a quick healer so that's good. It's all good."

Rivera, though, was unclear on whether it was his initial plan to play next year anyway, or if the injury motivated him to play another season.

"Miracles happen miracles happen, guys," he said. "I'm OK, I'm a positive man and I'm OK. The only thing is I feel sorry I let down my teammates.""

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home