XM MLB Chat

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Elaine's to close May 26

5/18/11, "Elaine’s, one of the most iconic restaurants in New York, is closing its doors on May 26th. The restaurant – which has served a wide variety of celebrities and writers, including Kurt Vonnegut, Norman Mailer, George Plimpton, and Gay Talese – simply couldn’t survive once its owner Elaine Kaufman died last December.

Diane Becker, who inherited the place from Kaufman, told The New York Times, “The truth is, there is no Elaine’s without Elaine. The business is just not there without Elaine.”

It’s a sad day for the city. We imagine that somewhere Woody Allen, who used Elaine’s in the opening of Manhattan, is feeling a little more cynical than usual today."

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

1 Comments:

  • I reaaly like your blog and although not a New Yorker I know Elaine's is a landmark. I do a sports history blog and will add to my list
    sportshistory365
    I try to link stories I see into the blog for readers to follow. Not sure they would read about Elaine's , but will follow your future postings

    By Blogger Mike K, at 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home