South Africa considers jailing journalists for inaccurate statements-BBC
- They criticised plans to introduce a "protection of information" bill and a new media tribunal, to
- punish journalists who step out of line.
Helen Zille, leader of the opposition Democratic Alliance, said the proposals are worse than apartheid-era measures.
- The protest came days before the ruling ANC holds its national conference....
The protection of information bill would allow the government to classify material that is
- currently not secret.
The media tribunal, which would be answerable to parliament, would have the power
- to jail or fine journalists for inaccurate reporting.
Ms Zille - once herself a prominent journalist - has described the tribunal as a
- tool to mask corruption....
The ANC says new legislation is needed to make journalists legally accountable for inaccurate reporting. Its policy conference next week is
- expected to focus heavily on policies to regulate the media.
- 4/9/10, ANC partied away taxpayer money per media reports