Abject failure of Mexican authorities cited by Amnesty International on slaughter of 72 immigrants to Mexico including children
- 8/25/10, CNN: "One of the vehicles had been disguised to look like a truck from the Ministry of National Defense, officials said.
"This discovery once again demonstrates the extreme danger and violence that Central Americans face on their treacherous journey north, as well as
- Mexican authorities' abject failure to protect them," Amnesty International said.
"Mexico must immediately investigate this massacre, bring the perpetrators to justice and establish the identities of those killed so that their families can be informed."
- Wednesday's gruesome discovery came about a month after authorities in the neighboring state of Nuevo Leon discovered 51 bodies in nine mass graves.
In that instance, investigators found charred remains...where bodies were presumably burned in steel drums, the state-run Notimex news agency said."...
- Of the 72 were 58 men and 14 women. Many local killings are not reported for fear that police are in league with criminals.
- many Mexicans do not dare to travel on the highways in the state.
- Many of these kidnappings are never reported for fear
- that police are in league with the criminals."...
- judicial, police, and prison systems, investors now holding back:
- reforms to the justice,
- prison systems,
- where corruption is endemic."
top photo ap
UPDATE, 9/2, BBC, 2nd survivor of massacre revealed, a Honduran, "Ecuador and Honduras in row over migrant massacre"
Tweet Stumbleupon StumbleUpon