Move to regulate internet favored by Google will test their lobbying power
- most expensive lobbying campaigns to hit Capitol Hill by major telecommunications and cable providers.
...Democrats at the FCC on Thursday agreed to begin formal consideration to adopt new rules for high- speed internet companies such as AT&T and Comcast, which have until now operated virtually free of the FCC’s oversight. Technically, the FCC’s majority passed a motion to “open for comment” new broadband rules, the first step to passing the rules.
- strongly favour greater regulation of broadband companies
but have less experience in Washington than the communications industry.
- ...the legal change...would legally give the FCC far greater authority
- to enforce rate changes and unbundling....
AT&T...said it supported handing the issue to Congress, a prospect “far less risky to jobs and investment than the FCC’s current path”."...
- from FinancialTimes.com, "FCC in move to regulate internet," by S. Kirchhaessner, via Drudge Report