Selig monopoly expands within Buddy system
- Deal goes to former Disney/ESPN boss Michael Eisner. And, why not?
- That's not how they spin it, of course. They spin it as saying that the way to revitalize the trading card business is by marketing it exclusively to kids, a party line that Topps' owner Michael Eisner is preaching as well....
The whole thing smacks of an inside deal between MLB and Eisner, who used to be part of the inner circle as the
- head of Disney. Disney, of course, once owned the Angels and owns ESPN, which has
- given the MLB a lot of cash and exposure over the years.
- "Giving Topps a Baseball Card Monopoly is the Wrong Decision," by Josh Alper, NBC Sports.com