Juan Uribe summoned to Dominican Court January 2nd
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic, AP Report: "Chicago White Sox shortstop Juan Uribe has been summoned to appear in court on Jan. 2 in connection with the shooting of a farmer, according to a court order obtained by The Associated Press.
The shortstop was mandated to appear before a judge in his home province of San Cristobal, according to the court order. Uribe, who has denied any wrongdoing, did not respond to requests for comment.
Uribe, his brother and a friend were questioned and released following a shooting in October that wounded a Dominican farmer in the coastal city of Juan Baron.
Antonio Gonzalez Perez said he was arguing with Uribe when the player pulled out a pistol and began to fire. An Italian man who was also shot did not file charges.
District Attorney Robert Lugo had previously said that prosecutors had seen no proof that Uribe was involved with the shooting.
Gonzalez's lawyers have requested that Uribe be barred from leaving the Caribbean country during an investigation, court documents said. Judge Regina Carvajal Vizcaino had not ruled on that request.
Under Dominican law, suspects in criminal cases can be jailed preventatively while under investigation."
AP Report, 12/28/06 from the International Herald Tribune
Tweet Stumbleupon StumbleUpon