XM MLB Chat

Friday, April 07, 2006

Hearing Gene McCaffery with Jeff Erickson today on XM

Here was yet another extremely smart guy---I mean one of them is a physician, others are financial gurus or just geniuses who for some reason gravitate not only to baseball but to spending large amounts of time putting together teams on paper--ie fantasy teams. I've been on the road today, but suffice to say Gene McCaffery was a high point of the day--I think his site is wiseguybaseball.com. He's a stat guy who sounds sure of himself, but not quite above it all as some of the others do. Anyhow, he has individuality & personality. He made 1 absolute statement which I'm going to check on--that players always play 10% better in their home park. It may well be that most do, but I'd like to check if it's all of them.

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

2 Comments:

  • I just have to say, and I know you said some disparaging things about him in the past, that Chuck Wilson is hands down the best host (outside of Jeff Erickson) on Home Plate. He's got a good amount of knowledge, and he has respect for statistics, and he understands them. The guy's a SABR member, which is awesome.

    To me, it's a heck of a lot better than hearing idiots like Martinez, Dibble, the Latin-O, etc. babble on and on and expecting people to take them at their word just because they played the game. Unfortunately, judging by the callers, most of the listeners do agree with them, which is sad. Chuck's a breath of fresh air to me, and I'd prefer it if Charley Steiner just fell off the face of the XM earth.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:14 PM  

  • Thanks Brett, I'm getting more used to
    Chuck, but it's mainly one personal
    habit he has of raising his voice to
    the highest decibel at some point in
    practically every sentence. I hurts my
    ears--not much I can do about that. On
    all the other guys' opinions, I'm realizing there's just not much supervision of these guys & what they
    say, including ESPN, MLB.com, XM, etc.
    It would be nice if more people noticed that as you do.

    By Blogger susan, at 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home