Another 1996 Rivera has not yet appeared despite what may be inferred from NY Times description of the 2011 David Robertson
- In 1996, Rivera had 35 games of 2 or more IP, 8 of which were 3IP.
- In 2011, Robertson had 1 game of 2.0 IP, no games of 2+IP.
- In September 2011, Robertson said he prefers one inning:
"I probably could," he said. "But I just feel it's easier to go one inning at a time. I use up a lot of energy in that one inning."
Of course, Robertson said he'd be more than willing in October, saying that "when the postseason comes, you do anything you can to win games.""...
- 9/8/11, "Yankees' David Robertson may be key to Bombers' World Series chances, even more than Mariano Rivera," NY Daily News, John Harper (citation on p. 2)
2/21/12, "Disbelief and Denial Mix in the Yankees’ Bullpen," NY Times, David Waldstein
- If someone does come along to equal the 1996 Rivera he will also have to pitch 14.1 innings over 3 levels of post season play and win the World Series.
Tweet Stumbleupon StumbleUpon