XM MLB Chat

Monday, February 28, 2011

Curt Smith book 9 decades of tales from baseball booths due out in July-Mushnick

Curt Smith, foremost chronicler of baseball's broadcasters, has given us a sneak peak of "A Talk In The Park -- Nine Decades of Tales From The Booth," due out in July.

  • From ex-Pirates pitcher and longtime broadcaster Steve Blass:

"Did I tell you about my first big league omer? Except for Billy Williams homering and doubling twice, I pitched a Sept, 5, 1969 no-hitter against the Cubs. Just as amazingly, I went four-for five.

  • "I don't recall much about my homer except that it came at 2:48 p.m., the wind was out of the northeast at 13 mph, overcast, 61 degrees, and Ken Holtzman was the pitcher.

"I hit the ball, got to first, and coach Don Leppert says, 'Take a left,' since I was in the habit of peeling off to the dugout.""...

Labels:

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home