Big money in taking pitches-Yankee Red Sox games may take longer because they take more pitches
- The two teams they're pressuring to speed it up are the best at taking pitches, the Yankees and Red Sox. Taking pitches has meant winning for the teams, but the practice tends to mute Bud Selig's plan that splashy home runs rule the game.
- Last season the Yankees were first in pitches seen by their batters with 25,066,
- and the Red Sox were second with 25,005.
- The league average was 23,894 per team,
The Yankees and Red Sox also put the most runners on base last season. The Los Angeles Angels were third and the Dodgers fourth.
- Yankees spokesman Jason Zillo said in an e-mail that the team wouldn’t comment on Watson’s directive. Red Sox spokeswoman Pam Ganley said the team would have no comment."...