XM MLB Chat

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Yankees 5 or 6 games better with Chamberlain in pen--Gossage

  • Save the 'only 1 inning' rap. It's 3-5 games a week and 70% plus in post season. Unless you prefer running a nursery school.
(NY Post): ""For me, it's a no-brainer," Gossage told The Post, incredulous the Bombers insist on using Chamberlain as a starter instead of in the setup role in which he excelled during 2007.
  • "I look at ballgames that this guy could've impacted that they lost. I'm just shaking my head. I can't believe it.

"This guy was their savior two years ago when they didn't have a set-up guy.

  • They wouldn't have made the playoffs without Joba. He'd be the perfect [set-up] guy. If you could impact three or four ballgames a week instead of one ...
  • I think you're wasting a tremendous talent."

Chamberlain is 4-2 with a 4.25 ERA. But those numbers don't tell the story.

  • In seven starts since smothering Cleveland on June 1, he's 1-1 with a 5.05 ERA, reaching seven innings just once. He's allowed nine hits in each of his last three, and over his last two he's coughed up 13 runs and 18 hits.

And while the team insists his problem is about pitch selection not arm strength, his velocity is down.

"His effectiveness and value to the ballclub is in the bullpen," said Gossage. "I think what they're thinking is we can't be jerking this guy around. [But] I don't think they're maximizing his talent.

"How many games have they lost after six or seven innings? It's huge. I'm not being critical. I just think that's where his value is."" 'Gossage: Put Joba Back in Bullpen,' by Brian Lewis, 7/14/09

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home