Idea floated for NY Mayor Mike Bloomberg to buy the NY Times Co.
- in the Boston Red Sox." (Boston Herald, 4/22/08).
- Newsweek's latest issue reported that "friends" are urging billionaire NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg to buy the Times, take it private, and thereby rid the Times' family of its financial, editorial, and baseball pressures.
- Bloomberg is most concerned with social issues, as is the Times. The former favors matters surrounding trans-fat legislation, smoking, and the like. Ideologically, it's a match.
- From the NY Times, 10/8/03, "Mayor Trades his Sox for the Local Pinstripes":
- ''I grew up in Boston,'' Michael R. Bloomberg replied, as his gleeful opponents ran for extra bases.
Then came the easy pop-up that bounced out of his glove -- his mispronunciation of the name of the Yankees' manager, Joe Torre, at a New York University graduation ceremony in May. The tabloids blamed ''the Boston-bred'' mayor's accent, while noting, suspiciously, that he ''grew up a Red Sox fan.''"
Tweet Stumbleupon StumbleUpon