XM MLB Chat

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Papelbon views self in tandem with Mariano

Jonathan Papelbon continues to compare himself only with Mariano Rivera. That's how he sees it. (BBWAA members are excused to grab the digitalis. Especially those on ESPN platforms). Headlines today are that he wants a pay hike (or new contract), but in either case he apparently doesn't agree that closers are the most overrated players in baseball (as certain geniuses contend).

  • Papelbon is talking about something different--an "outstanding" closer:

(AP report): "Mariano Rivera, the dominant closer for the New York Yankees, signed a three-year, $45 million after last season, his 13th. Papelbon...wants to establish a salary standard for future outstanding closers.

  • "I feel a certain obligation not only to myself and my family to make the money that I deserve but for the game of baseball." Papelbon said. "Mariano Rivera has been doing it for the past 10 years (please! don't leave out 1996--sm)

and with me coming up behind him I feel a certain obligation to do the same.""

Stumbleupon StumbleUpon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home